Looking for a perfect hearty winter meal? Need inspiration in the kitchen while you are stuck at home? Look no further than our Cavatelli with Lentils recipe! It is a simple, yet delicious meal, that uses mostly items from your pantry! It is easy to set up and you can let the lentils cook, while you work from home, or help the kids with school work. The perfect Italian comfort food, that is sure to keep you feeling cozy during these times! Plus, you can pull out those terra-cotta pots, (dutch ovens, or slow-cookers) and put them to use for simmering the lentils, a traditional item in any Pugliese kitchen. It’s like traveling to Puglia without leaving your home! Enjoy!
Prep time: 20 mins ~~~ Cooking time: 45 mins ~~~ Serving size: 4-6 people
- 2 cups of brown lentils (if they are dry, allow extra time for them to soak before putting in the pot to simmer)
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/2 Medium sized onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 jar of pomodori pelati a mano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste Pepper to taste
- 1 bag of Cavatelli Pasta
- Start boiling the water for the pasta.
- Chop up the onion, carrots and celery very finely for the soffrito.
- In a separate pan add the extra virgin olive oil, the soffrito ingredients, bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mixture to sauté until it softens and mixes well together.
- Add the pre-soaked lentils into a terra-cotta pot, add the sofritto into the pot, and any leftover lentil juices. Allow to simmer in the terracotta for 30-40 mins, checking and stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- While the lentils are simmering, bring the water to a boil and add the cavatelli. Allow to cook until al dente, approximately 5-10 mins.
- Drain the cavatelli and return to the original pot. Ladle the lentils into coverlet and mix together. Add some of the juices from terra-cotta to create a light coating on all of the pieces of pasta. Enjoy!
Shop with Especially Puglia: